Friday, March 7, 2014
8 - Casey Andrews
By studying for the final, I was able to learn get a better understanding of playing the whole game. The main thing that I learned from playing the whole game was the actual process and how their is a main exoskeleton and that within that their are multiple parts in which you have to go back and revise, evaluate, and reproduce your final product. Another thing that that I got a better understanding of from Marty's lecture is that we are enrolled in a $20,000 a year babysitting program, at least it confirms my thoughts of us not learning as much as I thought we would in college.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree in the aspect that studying for the final did teach people as well as myself how the whole game works. However, I honestly disagree with the idea that it is a babysitting service in some sense. Do I believe that companies want us to get the whole freedom thing out of our system, yes. Do I agree that we are not learning as much as we thought we would? Not entirely. I believe, with everything else in this world, that you get out what you put in. If people put minimum effort into a class or a project then they get okay results. However, putting in a great deal of effort gives you a lot more back as well as a great grade. People get back more knowledge, more skills, more experience, etc. Although you could call it a babysitting service I think it could be more formally called an institute of opportunity because there is so much there.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey guys,
ReplyDeleteI'm with you guys in that studying for the final really made the process a lot more clear in my mind. While the process isn't linear I think its really important to remember that their are different steps, and that they are all still important. This is something my team struggled a bit with when we were designing for project 4.
As for the nature of college, I am slightly dubious of Marty's point about it being an expensive baby sitting service. It seems to trivialize higher learning. While I am maturing, and that will be better for my future employer, the main reason I am here is not to learn how to be a good employee. I'm here to learn for myself, because knowledge enriches my life. As far as how much you learn, I agree with Raymond; you get what you give.
Don't mean to gang up on you Casey, just thought it was an interesting topic!
Hi guys.
ReplyDeleteSnaps to the compelling conversation going on here. Hope Casey gets back to you with comments. Do you think the decline in the perceived value and expectations of a High School diploma is lowering the perceived value of an undergraduate degree as well, requiring us as students to fill in the gaps on our own with side projects and internships? As someone with experience teaching High School English I could talk about this for days. It's concerning to me that the devaluing of a High School diploma for all kinds of reasons is creating some programs (not talking about IU of course, but elsewhere, I'm sure you can think of some) that will accept low-performing high school students simply to take their money and not give much value in return, while the students don't really know what they're in for.
I think if every class I've taken asked me to draw out the concepts in this way I'd remember them 3 years later like I do for I300. I've forgotten a lot less.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI remember Marty saying in the first week of the class that we don't really learn the whole game in college. If I remember right, he said something like the college only teaches you how to throw the ball in our first year, how to hit the ball in our second year, and so on without really learning the whole thing in terms of baseball. That scenario kind of reminded me of when I wanted to learn programming in college. I was hoping to learn some programming like Java, but all I learned in the class was how to use a bit of Scheme which no one really uses (although I think there was an advanced class that learns Java). I remember many students in the class complaining about learning Scheme. When I see students who know programming and ask where did they learn, most of them say they learned it by themselves through Linda or other internet materials, and it's a waste to take those courses. When I hear something like that, it makes me think that we can't really learn all the skills by solely relying on the college.
ReplyDelete