The website I used for this blog assignment was again Grantland, a Sports and Pop Culture website with articles on both topics. Here's the link. As I look at the Why it became very obvious to me what their design team was going after. Make something that appeals to both the sports fan and pop culture fan. I believe that where thinking the passionate sports fan has other interests too, what works better then sports and pop culture in the dot com era we are leaving in there are always tweets, blogs, updates on not only sports but pop culture. Both topics are everywhere, you don't have to passionate about sports or pop culture to like this website, it adds insight to both and they created a place where you can find multiple people opinions on the same topic, I believe their Why was there's too much one big companies ideas on something, why not have the opinions of many all different views in one place.

Hi David,
ReplyDeleteGood argument. I would argue that's exactly what Grantland's "why" is: we're a well-rounded site for the well-rounded aficionado of sports and pop culture. I certainly feel more well-rounded when I read Grantland (I love Grantland and got someone the Quarerlies for Christmas because they wanted to feel well-rounded, too). Your argument could have been strengthened by specific references to the TED talk or Chapter 2: For example, Designing the Obvious makes a point about buying identity that pertains to this. When you read Grantland or buy their books, you're really purchasing a piece of identity that says, "I know what's going on this year in a lot of different areas of culture."