Saturday, February 15, 2014

5-Matthew Bloom-Carlin

My team chose to redesign the share feature of Youtube.

Current Share Feature List:
1. The ability to share the video to social media.
2. The ability to share from a specific time location within the video.
3. The ability to view the embedding code from the share feature.
4. The ability to share via email.

Our Redesigned Share Feature List:
1. The ability to share the video to social media.
2. The ability to share the video simultaneously to multiple forms of social media.

If I analyze our redesign's feature list with the Unnecessary Test in mind, it might be the case that simultaneous sharing is unnecessary.  It's not "vital to the activity of the application," it's more of a "nice-to-have" feature.  It might actually be the case that you could remove the whole share feature from Youtube.  I only ever share by copy-pasting the URL  I would be interested to hear if anybody here actually uses the share feature.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt,

    Interesting take--I realized I only ever copy-paste too. So no, I don't use the share feature and using this test you may have found an even better YouTube "fix" that's the opposite of your first idea (get rid of share entirely). You could usability test this by removing the share item and seeing whether people mostly use copy-paste as their first impulse anyway.

    -Elaine

    ReplyDelete