Saturday, February 1, 2014

3-Raymond Stump

Once again this product that I pointed out in my second blog post is a website called HumbleBundle.com. Here is a link to their website https://www.humblebundle.com/ .  They sell games at discounted prices and use a part of that money to give it to charity. And here is a picture of the website.

I believe that the design team’s motivation for this specific website/ feature on buying video games is motivated by both money and for the prospects of helping charities that support electronic advancements. The reason for those inferences is the following. You cannot always create a free business. Money motivated them to put all of the work in to build this website and offer these services to millions of people across the world. Without being able to earn a paycheck the employees wouldn't want to work for the service and companies wouldn't want to put their games on their website for sale.  On the flip side, helping charities that are electronic based is the result of both selflessness and for promotion. I believe that they want to help these charities because it is a good cause; however I also believe that they are doing it to push people closer to their business. When these charities receive money from Humble Bundle they sponsor them and make their business more well know. These are my inferences for why the designers did what they did.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Raymond,

    I think you get to the real meat of your argument halfway through the paragraph--I agree that humble bundle's primary motivator is charity and helping others. It's that one key point that separates them from any other "bundle" service and why they're so popular. After all, I'm sure they have plenty of competitors who do it for money and "pushing people closer to their business" that you or I have never heard of. Designing The Obvious has a section in chapter 2 about why the other things you listed--including money and notoriety--are secondary and not "why" factors. Check it out and then feel free to respond to my comment with your thoughts if you were driving at something else.

    ReplyDelete