Thursday, February 6, 2014

4-Ben Krempp

I'm a big believer that people do not know what they want, though they think they do. In terms of being a great developer or designer, your task is to give them a experience that they never thought possible, that they begin to crave, that really improves some function of their lives. There are very few instances when a original design does these things because they listen to the users. There is a reason when television came out, the New York Times said no one would want to sit in front of a box for hours at a time.

I can understand adding features to a existing product that has already been created with the mindset above. Example being the original Ipod, which created a completely new experience, but added features with every new version to make that experience better. I don't believe in adding features just to add features, especially apps. People use an app, normally, for one main reason, its better to narrow in on that reason and do it extremely well.

In the words of the author, self-design is design not for who they are, but for what they were doing. Situational-design was focusing on a situation versus the users which are too broad in the authors view, or the activity, which was too narrow.

Situational approach to research in the authors view is really just putting yourself in the users place and seeing through his eyes, to put it simply. Its a great way to get a idea what the experience of your creation would be like.

For Project 2, my focus was on making the interface better in terms of the way its buttons were arranged. I didn't try to make significant changes to the design. I tried to put everything where I thought a user would really look and want it to be, which I guess is the situational approach because I tried to put myself in the users place.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben,

    Nice work with this. You hit all the points listed, used examples from real life and have a good understanding of what the author was trying to say.

    It's wild that the NYT said that about television. Did you know people were worried for a long time about windshield wipers "hypnotizing" drivers? We rarely know what we want.

    The only suggestion I would make is that the situation approach to design is more than trying to empathize with the user. If this gets covered in a later project I'd suggest you go back to that section and look at some ways the author suggests to tackle this approach.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete